I'll be on tour with The Black Dahlia Murder in Europe and then Summer Slaughter from June 3rd - July 29th.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

(The Match) Factory Girl

Fandango and my local movie theatre just tricked me. When I looked at what was playing for today Fandango had this movie listed for 7:30pm:

The Match Factory Girl (Tulitikkutehtaan tyttö )
Release Date: January 12, 1990
Cast: Kati Outinen, Elina Salo, Esko Nikkari
Director: Aki Kaurismäki
Synopsis: The Match Factory Girl is a dark, slow, quiet, mordant, unassumingly sly black comedy about a young woman's bleak existence. Ignored by her family and deserted by her one-time lover (Outinen), Iris finds release from her woes with a packet of rat poison...only suicide is not exactly what she has in mind.

Scandinavian black comedy? Rat poison? Sounded good to me. In reality when I purchased my ticket for The Match Factory Girl I had unknowingly bought a ticket for:

Factory Girl
Release Date:
February 2, 2007
Cast: Sienna Miller, Guy Pearce, Hayden Christensen
Director: George Hickenlooper
Synopsis: In the mid-1960s, wealthy debutant Edie Sedgwick (Sienna Miller) meets artist Andy Warhol (Guy Pearce). Edie joins Warhol's famous Factory and becomes his muse. Though she seems to have it all, Edie cannot have the love she craves from Andy. Edie has an affair with a charismatic musician (Hayden Christensen), who pushes her to seek independence from Andy and the Factory. Based on a true story.

Needless to say I was really confused once the movie started and I was seeing Andy Warhol and not rat poison. The fact the name of the movie was in pink and blue over the theatre door should have clued me in when I went in, but I just assumed it was some wacky Ikea type shit.

Regardless of it being the wrong movie it wasn't that bad. Kind of cheesy, but I guess that can be expected from a movie based on 60's art scene/counter culture. It reminded me of Smithereens. Annoying female main character who goes to New York City trying to "break into the scene" that you eventually feel bad for, sad ending, blah blah blah. Richard Hell is far cooler than Guy Pearce though. I didn't really know who Edie Sedgewick was before seeing the movie, now I know who every scene girl owes their look to. The girl who played her wasn't as cute as the real thing, but the girl who played Nico was smoking. Anakin Skywalker plays Bob Dylan in it, which is kind of annoying since all I could think about was that dude's dumb side rat tail in Star Wars.

Overall things could have turned out worse with this case of mistaken movie identity. Next time though, Fandango, you better watch your back.

PS: I was the only person in the theatre... so sweet.

No comments: