I'll be on tour with The Black Dahlia Murder in Europe and then Summer Slaughter from June 3rd - July 29th.

Monday, February 5, 2007

interview: Nick Hipa (As I Lay Dying)

Being 24 years old and playing in front of thousands of people across the world has to be a pretty alright gig. As I Lay Dying (or AILD, as the hip kids call them) guitarist, and world's most posi dude, Nick Hipa used his current downtime to tell me about it.


How long have you been in AILD and how did you get in the band?

I've been in As I Lay Dying for over 3 years now. I finagled my way into the band by having a heavy rep' on the streets for being the cats pajamas... that and my previous band had toured with AILD way back in the day and we had kept in touch.


It seems like you guys have some intense super-fans. Have any of them done any crazy stuff to you guys yet?

Unfortunately nothing gnarly has happened to us yet. I'm waiting for the moment when someone finally does something sweet, so I can call all my friends who have been asking me the same question and tell them a story they could share with their children.


Since you guys are way down with Jesus is it weird being on the same label that released Slayer's 'Hell Awaits' and Cannibal Corpse's 'Butchered At Birth'?

I could see how it would seem weird, but we're down with Slayer and Cannibal Corpse too... just not as much as we are with the Jesus... but to answer your question no its not weird.


Metal Blade Records, 1985


Also on the subject of Metal Blade, how stoked do you get when you think about the fact that Goo Goo Dolls used to be on the label? That song "Ain't That Unusual" they had on the Angus soundtrack was real sweet. (Metal Blade had a hand in releasing 5 Goo Goo Dolls records)

I'm stoked with the whole Goo Goo Dolls thing because when I'm talking to old legitimate people and they're asking me questions about the band, when the question of what label we're on comes up, I get blank stares with Metal Blade, but when I name drop the Goo Goo Dolls, they get quasi-impressed.


Metal Blade Records, 1990


You are probably the happiest dude on the face of the Earth. How do you keep up that PMA?

I don't really know what PMA is, but if I had to guess, I would say it stood for Pulverizing Mind Acrobatics. The answer then, is that I listen to a lot of brutal music while watching old Kung Fu movies and playing Sudoku. (PMA is "positive mental attitude", listen to more Bad Brains)


You're from Hawaii, right? Why would you ever decide to live in the continental 48 when you could be soaking up rays in a tropical paradise?

I was born in Hawaii and lived there until I was about 10. The reason I ended up on the mainland is because my Mom wanted to move and I had no choice being that I was 10. Everyone on my Dad's side still lives on Oahu, and I try to make it out there at least three or four times a year. But to be a bit more specific about why I don't live there now, it is virtually impossible to do anything significant with music on an island in the Pacific... Unless of course you want to play Hawaiian music or you are Jack Johnson. (the Curious George guy, not the boxer)


apparently what all Hawaiian musicians strive to be


On Conan O'Brien they have that celebrity secrets segment... let me get a dark secret about you.

I'm in a real life gang and we are a menace to society.


Chowdah Luv thinks you're real bummed out on him after finding out his stance on Oprah and Lando Calrissian, is this true? (I'll soon be posting a bunch of stuff about Chowdah Luv, keep your eyes peeled)

I love Chowdah Luv... while I don't necessarily condone his outspokenness on the subject, deep deep down inside, I agree with him.


Chowdah Luv is not a racist, these 2 on the other hand...


Thanks man. Any last words?

Yeah, if for some reason you haven't seen the cinematic masterpiece Pick of Destiny by Tenacious D, then I sincerely urge you to visit your local theatre or movie store and see it. Although I think the film is currently in the awkward stage where it isn't in theatres and is not available for purchase or rentals, as if it doesn't really exist right now.


As I Lay Dying is currently preparing their follow up to to 2005's 'Shadows Are Security'. You can find out more about it at www.asilaydying.com as it comes along. Also, seriously, listen to more Bad Brains.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is that in slavery days Oprah and Lando would have been in the house. Also it wasn't my stance on Oprah and Lando that bummed Nick out it was tales of me maybe fucking and baby and for sure fucking a girl who was for sure retarded. I wonder who told him those????? karim